Wednesday, July 24, 2013

It really is the little things...oh wait those are actually big things

My day was made yesterday by 2 of the most ordinary things.
I went shopping with Christian and bought him "cool", casual shoes at Children's Place and stylish sunglasses. No big deal huh? Wrong..big deal , very big deal. First of all most shoes don't fit over his braces that he wears on his feet. Therefore we have one pair of tennis shoes we wear with everything. I have been wanting some more dressy stylish shoes for his nicer clothes/church/school. Today I hit the jackpot. I was sooooo excited when they fit over his braces...it really made me giddy. Then score number 2 were the sunglasses. He looked like a 6 yr old having fun, wearing his sunglasses on a bright day. The best part was that he didn't try to take them off. I actually wanted to just stroll around some more outside just to get to watch him with his sunglasses on. He actually wore them. It was one of those days where all the stars aligned:)

As much as major things like-taking more steps and learning a new sign-are monumental and obviously exciting....the small things that make me feel like a mom of a typical 6 yr old boy are even grander on certain days. Most of the moms I am friends with experience this same thing. We long for our kids to meet therapy goals that lead them to more independence but we also long for and celebrate the "normalcy" of cool shoes that fit, swimming independently with other kids in the pool,  clapping at a performance (when it's actually appropriate time to clap:) dancing in the car to Carly Rae jepsen, watching cartoons on TV, rolling a ball to and laughing with your twin brother,riding rides at SDC....(these are all from real mom's lives).

it's the small things...that are really big things

1 comment:

The Lundgrens said...

I love this!! These moments help us get thru the tough ones. Luke has recently started throwing or rolling balls back to Caleb. They rarely actually play TOGETHER....side by side maybe but not together. I smiled (and maybe cried a bit) the other day when I watched them both smiling and laughing tossing the ball back and forth. It didn't last long, but long enough. :). It's what Sara Groves calls "everyday miracles that keep our hope alive."