Monday, July 15, 2013

Day 7 of hbot and the things you wouldn't know

We made our 12th dive today.  So far I've noticed that Christian's walking has improved. He is not "scissoring" his legs as much and follow thru on his steps and walking farther. Walking is such a big goal for him and us (the people who carry him to and from:). He will only get taller and heavier. Carrying him will only get harder for me and that is why we work so hard on walking.

This is the part of the blog where I let you in to the world of parent a child with mental and physical disabilities. Of course you see Christian and know that he doesn't talk or walk on his own and that's an obvious issue we deal with. But there are other "minor" things that come along with a child with brain damage that you wouldn't think about. For instance...on our drive to k.c I look back and Christian's ear is bleeding...there is blood on the side of his face now and smeared on his car seat...whaaaaaaaaat! So I watch him and he is banging/rubbing his head on his car seat..repeatedly. Well really what can I do about it. I can't stop and hold his head or make him stop hitting it on his car seat. I stop and give him something to chew on hoping this will fill the need to bang his head on the seat. This doesn't help he keeps doing it. The scrape clots a couple of times but he reopens it from more banging. At this point I pull over in hopes that if I get him out to stand he may stop this behavior. I had the feeling he was getting frustrated from the long ride. Well we get out and I  have left one of his shoes at home...hmmm. We go ahead and attempt standing. This does help the situation for the rest of the ride.

So I'm left with needing to go to walmart to get shoes because we only have 1 and cleaning blood off of the car seat and his face. For whatever reason he was frustrated or wanted to move and chose that behavior. While non of this is life threatening it just adds to the mountain of small things that come with our child's diagnosis...things no one even realizes. And again you try to shrug it off and chalk it up to life:)

1 comment:

Tara said...

You are such an awesome momma! Gotta love o2! Something so simple, yet so therapeutic!