Thursday, July 4, 2013

4th of july..gets better every year!

The 4th....full of fireworks, bbq's, vacations..and seizures? huh?
Christian was born on jan 30th 2007 and on july 4th/5th we were told he had a diagnosis of infantile spasms which are a type of seizures babies have. Now let me tell you the back story.
Several weeks before the july4th we noticed christian would fling his arms out. To us it looked like he was being startled. As the week went on one "startle" became 2..3..6 at a time. The night of the 4th he did this and then made a face that looked sad and then cried a little. At that moment my stomach sank knowing that something was wrong..it no longer looked like a startle. It was odd and weird and scary. But what was it?

On the way to I Love America extravagannza I called the nurse line and described everything. She said it could be stomach isssues but for now call your pediactrician in the morning. I was somewhat happy about this but still felt like something was wrong. The next morning we were supposed to leave for Sikeston and then on to Destin for our family beach vacation. I was so excited. Boy did that change.

We went to our pediatrician the next morning and she directed us to our neurologist. I'm thinking ok well this is not just a stomach problem. After our neurologist watched the video we took of him having an episodes he said right away.."he has infantile spasms".."he is having seizures". This diagnosis is a very bad one to have for a baby.

I could not believe what I was hearing. I tried to hold back tears but there was no use in that. We didn't ask too many questions because we were so stunned. We left and went to walmart to get his new meds. I just sat there..at the pharmacy and cried and really didn't care who saw me. I couldn't believe my precious baby was having this terrible things.

We ended up not going on vacation. we were too worried to be that far away from his hospital and doctors that knew him.

Each year christian was doing better and better at where he was at in his life ...on the 4th of July. That first one was so devestating. As everyone was celebrating i was terrified of what those "startles" were. We are celebrating our 6th 4th of july with c and things are great...not to mention the additions to our family! Each year i love this holiday more and more.

1 comment:

The Lundgrens said...

Ahhh...God is good! Isn't it amazing how we'll never forget right where we were when we got the IS diagnosis? I can still picture the room we were in....the doctor's shoes...the ceiling tiles. Life changing day for sure.
July 4th is so special or us too! Luke adores that holiday!