Wednesday, June 24, 2009

1st session of Therapy in the Bootheel

Carissa working with little C.




For those of you who are unsure of what I mean by the bootheel-Sikeston is my hometown and is in the "bootheel" of Missouri.-southeast missouri.



We have the Kenny Rogers Child Center. It provides therapy for children with disabilities. I came to visit back in April and signed up to bring Christian to participate in therapy. The center is training therapist in a specific type of training called NDT/Bobath (Neuro-Developmental Treatment). Basically they practice the correct movement patterns with the child to do functional everyday tasks. I know it's a lot more involved than that but that's the best way for me to describe it. The therapists come from all over to get this training. They are here for 8 weeks.

Christian has 2 Occupational Therapist that are working with him. One is from California and the other from Missouri. They are doing new stretches and therapy with his upper body. I'm so pleased with how knowledgeable they are and accommodating to Christian's strengths and weaknesses. He's been working really hard. I will get pics and video on when I can. I don't have my camera cord. We will come back in July and August for 2 more sessions.

We are enjoying being with my parents and seeing old friends. Tonite we are going to a Kenny Rogers concert. It is to benefit the center and it's expansion. Christian's first concert!

Take care everyone!

No comments: