Friday, January 2, 2009

did you notice?

Did you notice him tracking you as you move around the room
repeating mama. .mama. . .mama (sweet music)
crawl up the steps with ease
pick up those noodles on the tray with his thumb and pointer
put his hands in the back of his diaper
topple over and get right back up
using both hands on his sippy cup so naturally
move his feet-left, right, left, right
sitting up so straight
clap with both hands palm to palm
I noticed.

As a mom of a child who doesn't do all of those things-yet. I always notice those actions that seem to be taken for granted by other moms. I'm sure if I was the mom of a typical child I wouldn't think twice about a child who does what they should do naturally. But I'm not and so I seem to notice all of these things in babies and kids and I find myself being amazed that kids just naturally do these things. I thank God for their abilities and anticipate the day Christian does all of them and even if he doesn't here on earth it won't matter.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Hi! Haven't checked your blog in a while. Your words sounded like a recording of my own thoughts. And you know, that made me stop and thank God for bringing us together. I love my friends with "normal" kiddos but my "special" friends I charish. Keep up the fight! We continue to pray for Christian's upcoming trip. Let's watch God do something BIG!

sarah jones said...

This to me is one of the bittersweet things about special needs children. The milestones of development become broken down into the smallest of steps, and even though you wait longer to see them come, when they do come there is a wonder and celebration that so many of the rest of us miss. And I think too, that at least for me, it is yet another reminder that we are ALL fearfully and wonderfully made.

Hope your week is filled with wonder.

Sarah