Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Blue placard

So i must blog about my blue placard (i think that's how you spell placard). I have never used that word until now. i'm referring to my blue handicap placard that I now have if i need it to hang on my mirror for parking when Christian is with me. I have so many thoughts about this thing.
First of all. . never thought i'd have one so that was really weird to go get it at the license bureau and I never really thought I needed one but uhh i do have a child with special needs and so on. So i fall in to that category. There's actually 3 categories (i think) that were on the sheet the Dr. fills out. We were marked for the first one.

Second of all. . once i got the blue placard and used it I was (A) afraid that the act of parking and then putting it up on the mirror that it seemed like i was cheating and just whipping it out to park close but if you read on the placard it actually says not to drive with it hanging on your mirror--so i felt better about that. Apparently it obstructs your view while driving. (B) I was nervous that after using it and getting Christian's stroller out (which comes in 2 pieces) that a person would be watching and think "she just has a child. why does she think she can park in handicap". i'm always ready for someone to do that. I"m almost scared to use it because it's not obvious enough that we need it. How silly!

Third of all. . . I have now noticed that there are not just handicap parking spaces but some of them say van accessible or van only. So is it illegal for me to park in those if i don't drive a van or just the ones that say van only? o so complicated.

Fourth of all. . . i have rules for using my placard. (A) only when Christian is with me (obviously) (B) only if it is raining or super cold and i'm in a hurry (like late for therapy or doctor appointment) (C) if there is a just as close space that is not handicap i will use it.

Those are my feelings and concerns and rules for my handicap placard.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Very well stated. I too feel like someone is going to say something to me one day! Sometimes, like at WalMart, I will pull up her pants so her braces show. Isn't that silly?!? Like we have to defend ourselves! I think that is b/c there isn't enough awareness out there about developmental disabilities and how debilatating they are. And what the physical demands are on their caregivers, aka their parents. There is an upside...we usually do have great biceps!