Friday, September 19, 2008

celebrate the small things

My friends sometimes ask me questions about what my days are like as a mother of a child with special needs and I gladly explain the routines of therapy, doctors appointments, funny waiting room stories, or slivers of sadness. I love to give them a window in to that world because it is such a different world of parenting. I say different because that's what it is-not bad just different. Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have. I'm not easily offended. But I say all of that to say this--mostly I've noticed that I have learned to celebrate the small things.

This morning I noticed Christian feeling his hair with his left hand. He did this Tuesday in occupational therapy and we clapped and watched in awe! (this all usually preceded with "has he ever done that before?" But then this morning was the second time which means it's a habit (that's my standard for an improvement). I watched him slowly move his fingers and whole hand to feel his silky hair and my heart and mouth together smiled quietly, soaking in this new moment. Then I got loud and cheered for this small thing. Because you see Christian usually doesn't bring his left arm up that high or feel something above his head. I've noticed that when you're told to just wait and see what your son will be able to do every small thing he does is a huge accomplishment. They are all major milestones. A Bu,Bu-B sound is cause for a hug, pulling his foot up and stepping once is a clappable moment, and when he brought his hand to his mouth way past the time most babies do-we cried!

So celebrate the small things!!!!

4 comments:

Christie's Corner said...

What a great post, Robyn. I rejoice with you in watching your precious boy grow and develop. He is a treasure!

Unknown said...

I read this and I almost lost it, it is so amazing to see God heal his little body. And God will continue to heal him too.

Ashley said...

I am so glad that Leah helped me find my way to your blog! I think it is great that you are finding a way to share both your exciting moments and your struggles.

brinkley says said...

You are an inspiration to everyone who reads your blog.

It is a joy to share in Christian's accomplishments and toweep over setbacks with you.

We rejoice as we agree together for a wonderful life for you, Christian and Eric.